Rosette Pillow

Whenever I am at any of the craft stores I ALWAYS peruse the clearance section.  You honestly never know what you are going to find.  A couple of weeks ago, I found some Martha Stewart Mambo Yarn in the color Flamingo on clearance for around $2.  As with many of the crafting items I pick up on sale, I had no idea what I was going to do with it since I am not an avid knitter or crocheter (is that a word??).

I was down to only two pillows to make for Lucy’s playroom so I thought the yarn might be pretty as a rosette on a pillow.  I dove right in with no real plan (other than a rosette) in mind.

The first thing I did was make the rosette which took all of the yarn and some hot glue.  It took about 5 minutes total to glue together.

My next step was the pillow.  I had a 20 x 20 pillow insert from Ikea and I just happened to have a scrap piece of minky fabric that was 19 1/2 inches wide and about 6 feet long.  I cut the fabric to about 39 inches long.  I put the wrong sides together and sewed around the pillow with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  I left a 6 inch opening to insert the pillow.

I made the rosette into an applique using the technique in my bunting post.  I turned the pillow right side out and ironed on the rosette.  I left a little lip on the edge of the rosette to insert and attach my leaves.

Mmmm.  How to make the leaves?  I had some green felt so I cut the corners off into two different sized triangles.

Below is the way in which I pinched the triangles together to form a leaf.  I pinched in on the long end so that one fold of fabric was on the inside facing my hand and two folds of fabric were outside facing me.  I folded the resulting ends towards me and then back again to form seven TOTAL folds.  Four will be facing you and three will be facing away from you.  It is easier to show you than to explain!

To hold the leaf together, I flattened the “stem” end and hand-stitched the folds together. I then cut the excess “stem” off as close to the stitches as I could so it would fit under the lip I left on the rosette.

I placed the leaves under the lip of the rosette and hand-stitched them on from the inside of the pillow case.  I placed a bit of fabric glue on the lip of the rosette and glued it to the leaves so they were secure from both sides.

I stuffed shoved the pillow insert through the hole I left open and then sewed the hole shut with my sewing machine with a teeny tiny seam allowance!

I have one happy customer who wanted to sleep with it as soon as I was done!


I am linking to:

Positively Splendid
Live, Laugh, Rowe
Gingersnap Crafts